Medical Update 24th November

We have had the results of the mass/lesion/cyst/tumour, it is now officially a ‘tumour’ I have a name for it and everything ‘little f***er’.

I have seen my oncology consultant twice since getting out of Romford. I think he was a bit put off by the fact Simon pushed me to the appointment in a wheel chair, but the way we look at it is why wear myself out spending 10/15 mins walking from the car to the appointment when I could do that later doing something I want to do.

The treatment options are dependant on my level of fitness, because I was in a wheel chair he initially put my fitness at a 2 which means I get radiotherapy to start off with to hopefully stop it growing too fast. However after having me walk down the corridor, Simon thought he might have changed his mind, which it turned out he had.

We had another appointment the following week, well two appointments, Monday was an MRI which from my point of view was a disaster, I am quite squeamish, Simon had already told them they needed a special cannula putting in person, which they didn’t have, they prodded and poked me for what seemed like 5-10 mins, while I was getting more stressed, they did the first half without the cannula in then pulled me out so as someone else could attempt the cannula, which although went in seemed to take ages while they decided which vein would be a good one. The upshot of this is by the time they got around to the ‘with contrast’ part of the MRI, my left leg was protesting at being left lying around for 45 mins, not only that the bit that usually only takes 2 mins was about 12mins. This MRI was done in the portacabin out the back of the hospital, it was suggested by the technicians that in future we might want to insist on having MRIs at the inside one as it would be less stressful for me. Of course it might be less stressful for them 🙂 an experience that usually takes 20mins lasted over a hour, not sure if it would have done that anyway or if it is a slower machine outside.

Tuesday unknown to us we had two appointments one with the radiotherapy people to create my mask at 8:30 made over the phone and one with the oncologist at 9 o’clock, we had a letter moving the 9:00 to 10:00 so we sorted our morning to get there for 10, Simon got a phone call at 9 to find out where we were, we arrived at the hospital 9:30 where we were whisked off to the radiology department where they made my mask, they spent time getting me comfortable and deciding what to do with my hair. They heated up a plastic mesh in a water bath which was moulded to my face, after about 10 mins they put ice packs on the mask to ‘set’ it.

We then went and saw the oncologist who told us that he thought that I was well enough to have radiotherapy and the chemo at the same time, it will mean regular blood tests, if I get too sick, they can stop the Chemo, to be honest it is the chemo that scares me the most.

After the Oncologist we had to wait for the CT machine to be available, they put my mask on and I then they marked it up, I have a start date of 11th December.

I am not going to spend too much time updating the blog with the medical stuff, which as far as I can work out will probably consist of ‘I’m very tired and losing my hair’

back to our scheduled crafting posts soon…

Posted on 01/12/2017, in Hospital. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.

  1. Hope the treatment doesn’t wipe you out from crafting.

  2. That’s one of the main things I’m worried about, but i have lots of plans 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: