Category Archives: vogue 9040

This post is brought to you by sewing disasters such as……

A) not pre washing your fabric

B) making a shoddy job of up-sizing a top pattern

I will confess I have some what lost my sewjo this year, after finishing The Dress For Liz, which I had a deadline for I’ve sort of been at a loss, so I have decided to fix a couple of sewing disasters. You might remember this border print dress after I finished it I washed it, apparently I hadn’t washed it before cutting it out doh…to be honest back then I didn’t always pre wash, I’d never had a problem until this dress.

image
After taking it apart and giving it a good iron I compared the pattern pieces and discovered that each skirt piece (8 in all) have lost 5/8 th of an inch that was a lot of shrinkage, no wonder it no longer fitted

img_3543

So I have re-cut the skirt luckily I had already decided that I didn’t like the way a the hem looked and I was planning on shortening the skirt anyway, which was just as well as to get the width from the skirt pieces I needed to cut off about 2 inches from the top of them.

Luckily I had enough fabric left over from the original fabric to totally re-cut the bodice, which I have done, I also make the adjustment that I would usually make by taking 3/4 inch out of the bodice.

So far I have but all the darts back in, 2 in each skirt piece and three in the front bodice, unfortunately it is a bit hot at the moment for ironing, but this is England so I’ll just give it a couple of days 🙂

The other dress this one I made a bit of a hash of it, it was too big but because of the cut-out I couldn’t just re-cut the bodice from the original, I had to buy another half metre of fabric.

Out of the new fabric I have cut the front bodice and half of the facings, I’ve used the original back peice and cut that smaller and have cut the front neck facing from fabric left over from the original fabric.

So far I have overlocked the original skirt pieces, done the darts in the bodice and again waiting for the weather to break.

image

UPDATE

Didn’t manage to get this posted before the weather broke, as I said this is England.

I now have all the pintucks done in the border print dress, and the 8 skirt panels have all been overlocked.
On the other dress I have the bodice put together, it is now waiting for the facings to be put on.

bye for now

Advertisements

border print dress

I though you might like to see some photos of my border print dress, the pattern I’m using is the Vogue 9040 pattern, I have taken about half an inch from each side under the arm

image

Untitled
in this photo if you look carefully you can see all the markings used to make the photo above

if you think there are too many dots for the pin tucks, that’s because you put in the darts first then the pin tucks using half of the of the dart markings.

Untitled

here’s roughly what it will look like, I am going to use pink buttons and part of the border print for the belt

vogue 9040 part 2

here we have another finish red and white dress, this is the first dress that i have made that looks like the actual picture on the envelope.

Vogue 9040

I also thought that as the sun was shining I would take the photos outside, of course by the time i had put the dress on and moved the camera downstairs the sun had gone in. Also my shoes weren’t quite up to the muddy grass either.

This is the first vogue dress pattern i had put together and i was surprise at how easy it went together. I wasn’t sure about the buttons but seeing them on now i’m quite happy with them.

IMG_2910[1]

IMG_2899

IMG_2900

Here’s a not such a good shot but it has the shoes in it.

IMG_2893

i’ll definitely be making this dress again.

Half Way Through March

We are half way through march and I have had quite a productive Sunday.
IMG_2862

close up of inside collar

close up of inside collar

My red dress with the white flowers has every thing done but the hand stitching and button, I’ll admit that I cheated a bit, I did the hem on my sewing machine, I started off hand stitching but the fabric is so heavy and so wide that I decided against it.

Pinstripe Skirt, I finished unpicking the zip, put the zip back in attached the lining and waistband. I am now waiting for the inch grosgrain Ribbon to complete the waistband.

Close up of Waistband

Close up of Waistband

skirt

skirt

I have also practically finished my second version of New York Gold 444 that just need the buttons and finishing off the hand stitching.

close up of cuff and sleeve

close up of cuff and sleeve

Vogue 9040

Vogue 9040

I was very bad at the weekend I started a new dress Vogue 9040, continuing my love of Pintucks this dress has four large pintucks down each side of the bodice, the front also has darts that are incorporated in to the pintucks.

If you look closely you can see the Pintucks

If you look closely you can see the Pintucks

I think this the first pattern I have put together that does actually look exactly like the drawing on the envelope.

IMG_2860

I’m not sure what the fabric is, it was billed as a seersucker type fabric on ebay, which it isn’t. It has a grid like design on it and the flowers feel like they have been painted on with a rubberised tipex brush.

The dress went together quite easily but will always be known as the dress with ‘all those darts’ it has 8 panels and two outside darts in each, I was lucky to get the end without putting at least one dart on the inside instead of the outside, I think the fit is quite good.

IMG_2862

I hope to find some nice buttons for it at Olympia on Friday.