I have made a couple of Plaintains for Liz’s birthday present, I also made one for me with 3/4 length sleeves, with the steroids and Christmas I have put on rather a lot of weight, I needed to make something larger than my normal clothes, though the Plaintains hide quite a bit 🙂
I had the altered pattern with FBA for Liz already, luckily I actually managed to find it, then I just need to find the Jersey fabric, I used two different types of Jersey one is a cotton bought from eBay which was easy to work with but didn’t drape very well. The second one was is a viscose/rayon bought from Olympia last year surprisingly heavy and slippery. Not the best fabric when your left hand isn’t working quite as well as it could do. I mainly used the overlocker to complete bulk of the sewing, and the twin needle on the sewing machine for the hems.
This wasn’t my best work, I used a lot more pins than I would have normally and the hems weren’t quite as neat as they could be.
I have bought some patterns from deer and doe, I have had so much use out of the free Plantain pattern I recommend you rushing over and downloading it, to be honest I’m not too keen on the styling on the website too much eyeliner and silly poses but I have been eyeing up the azalea skirt
I also suggest that Michael Powell, cross stitch copyright division get their arses over to Pinterest, up and down the garden path and a couple of others are available to down load which brings me to my other purchase, as you may have realised I have gone back to my other love, counted cross stitch and have picked, Michael Powell secret garden 1
to finish, I had it in the evenweave version purchased from the designer himself at a long ago knitting and stitching show, I picked this one of the many started as I thought it would be easy enough because of the fabric and blocks of colour but enough of a challenge because of the back stitching, so went over to amazon to buy the companion kit the secret garden 2
This is a quick post to tell you about the three Plaintains I made just before coming away.
They took about 3 hours from cutting out to finishing, I did most of the work on my overlocker which speeds up construction immensely.
As I promised here are another two
The top fabric is from Primark, I bought two of the largest size T-Shirts and cut them up, the design isn’t printed on grain, so I had to make the decision of did I want it on grain or the lines straight, I went for the lines, It doesn’t hang quite right but that is better than looking at it with wonky lines 🙂 Bottom fabric is from eBay.
I overlocked the shoulders, inserted the neckband as per the instructions, I might go back to doing it the other way. Inserted the sleeves, pins are my friends for this on the overlocker as there is a very good chance of holes if the fabic isn’t totally level. Then up the sideseams and under arms. Over to the sewing machine for the twin needle hems and one row of stitching to hold the neck band in place.