Monthly Archives: February 2014

New York 1478 part 2

last night I finished the pockets.



I decided to reinforce the pockets as I did not want them to stretch as you can see by the black ribbon I have carefully reinforced the seam with, the lower part of the top part of the dress forms the back of the pocket.

I then attached one side to the front, I decided against reinforcing this seam, I hope it was the right choice.

this evening I finished the back of the dress which now looks like thisP1010598

tomorrow I am going to attempt the bound button holes so wish me luck.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

New York 1478 and viscose/rayon

I’m going to be making the short sleeved version with the square neckline, I find that I have a problem with the three quarter length sleeve as in they get caught at the elbow and then proceed to cut the circulation off to my hands, it freaks me out when they start going a funny colour and feel funny. 1478d

this will be the second time I have made this dress previous adventures with it can be found here this time I might actually decide I want to wear it.


I haven’t been brave enough to try the bound button holes yet but I can’t find my fray check and the test one frayed quite badly.

I have however discovered that viscose is a slippery little bugger, usually I don’t pin any thing and just hold it as I stitch, this time even though I was only sewing about 6 inches I used three pins and it still slid about a bit.


This is the first time I have used viscose, it is lovely and soft, it also has a very nice sheen. After reading up on it, I pre washed it just as well as it lost almost 12 inches over a four metre piece of fabric.

When cutting it out I decided to be a bit crafty, I needed to copy the pattern, and one of the suggestions on cutting rayon was to sandwich it between tracing paper, so I have a nice big roll of tracing paper, probably a bit thick for pattern copying, but that is what the craft shop had. So while cutting out the pattern I cut out the copy as well, bonus, I just have to copy all the markings onto my new pattern.



I haven’t started putting it together yet, as I am practicing the bound button holes, and have come to the conclusion that either I need to use fray check (which I’ve never used) or interface both sides of the button hole.