The Walkaway Dress.
THe Walkaway dress, well we started it we put the three peices together then we put the bias binding on.
I can honestly say this was the most boring thing I have ever made, the other thing I would like to say is if Butterick sold so many of these patterns in the 50s where are they? I can’t help feeling that 1950s sewer had as much trouble with them as 2015 sewers and a lot of them went straight in the bin.
I did learn a couple of things, I made my own bias binding for the first time, the print I used in the end was too busy for a shop bought binding, the binding looks great. I bought a bias foot for attaching it I found that it didn’t make it easier or harder to attach the binding, Denise found it a lot easier not to use the bias foot at all.
I read up a lot on the internet before starting this dress, I was particularly worried about Denise’s chest so we cut her upper chest size to start off with and graded out for the bust, it is still a little bit gapey around the sides but fits her shoulders, it is unfortunate that she has lost a few inches from around her waist since we cut it out so it is a bit big in that area we decided to just fold over the excess fabric.
The other thing I am assuming is that the 1950s pattern did not tell you to hang the dress for 24 hours before hemming, that would have completely put paid to the ‘start at breakfast, out for lunch’ slogan.
walkaway dress butterick 6472
I’m in love, I have it half finished and it is still beautiful.
the pattern I bought was a size smaller than I usually buy, I decided not to try and make it any bigger. A lot of the posts on walk away dresses say that they come up big across the bust and I usually have to take dresses in at the waist and because of the style I thought it probably wouldn’t matter about the hips.
This is the front view with everything pinned in place.
back view not pinned in place, unfortunately I forgot to take photos of the back while it was all pinned up.
back view of just the front piece, I didn’t realise that it would be held in place just by a strip of elastic and a couple of hooks and eyes.
The fabric is an old sheet picked up from the Sue Ryder Charity shop, I was just going to stick to blouses and such like from it, I thought it would be good for my test run.
At this time I definitely want to make more of these but we will see how I feel after it is finish and I’ve worn it outside, of course I might have to wait for summer first.
Even though I have tried very hard not to buy any more vintage patterns this weekend I have failed miserably I have bought 6, 3 from ebay and 3 from etsy I am going to have to stay off both of these websites the rest of the month.
From ebay I have Butterick 6472, 2535 and 5376
From etsy I have Butterick 5636, 8039 and 8096
I’ve come to the conclusion I really like Butterick patterns.
I’m really excited about the Walkaway dress 6472, I like the idea of a walkaway dress, I wasn’t all that keen on the pattern reissue especially as there have been a lot of comments on how hard it is to fit but I also wasn’t sure about the neckline and all that binding. Out of the pictures I prefer the Saturday Morning dress have a look at Gertie’s blog post on it I have a lot more luck with the original vintage patterns on fitting than I do with the modern reissue patterns. So watch this space.