Category Archives: 1950
this is the second time i have written this post the first time i posted it, i received txt congratulating me on my post then it disappeared into the posting black hole.
I was a bit concerned about the scalloped neckline as the pattern was a size too large, although i knew i could slash the pattern the scallops would be a challenge.
I decided to use my printer scanner, i worked out the ratio i needed to reduce it by, and hey presto.
the only change i made between this top and the one the actual dress is that i lengthened it by 1/2 inch.
this dress looks beautiful but it is an impractical dress to wear as you will see in the last photo
and here is the shot you’ve been waiting for
I have bought some fabric this week, I had an email from Kaye’s Textiles this week saying that they had some new cotton fabric and it will be on sale for a week.
The fabric i bought in the end was not on sale and i had already see it but here it is
i also have a few new patterns
i’m not sure which one i’m going to make first but it will probably be the last one, Vogue 8781, as you can see I am on a bit of a Vogue kick at the moment but I am trying to cut down on my spending but it doesn’t appear to be happening.
I’m hoping this week to have my rose border print dress finished and the dress with the shoulder pleats so watch this space.
I though you might like to see some photos of my border print dress, the pattern I’m using is the Vogue 9040 pattern, I have taken about half an inch from each side under the arm
if you think there are too many dots for the pin tucks, that’s because you put in the darts first then the pin tucks using half of the of the dart markings.
here’s roughly what it will look like, I am going to use pink buttons and part of the border print for the belt
I’m going to try to do a slightly more in depth post on this dress.
If you look closely at the pattern you should just be able to make out the pattern detail on the shoulders and hip. I thought that the print might have been a bit mistake but from a distance it isn’t too bad. It is just as well it is so busy as I folded the fabric in half which meant that some of the pattern ended up upside down.
The first photo is the front pieces, you need to enforce the front with two sets of stitching round what will become the slash point which you can’t see on this photo, but what you can see is the placket which is used to reinforce what will become a seam.
You then slash up to the dot.
Fold the placket up, then put in the pleats
roughly the same process is copied for the front of the skirt.
here we have another finish red and white dress, this is the first dress that i have made that looks like the actual picture on the envelope.
I also thought that as the sun was shining I would take the photos outside, of course by the time i had put the dress on and moved the camera downstairs the sun had gone in. Also my shoes weren’t quite up to the muddy grass either.
This is the first vogue dress pattern i had put together and i was surprise at how easy it went together. I wasn’t sure about the buttons but seeing them on now i’m quite happy with them.
Here’s a not such a good shot but it has the shoes in it.
i’ll definitely be making this dress again.
My red dress with the white flowers has every thing done but the hand stitching and button, I’ll admit that I cheated a bit, I did the hem on my sewing machine, I started off hand stitching but the fabric is so heavy and so wide that I decided against it.
Pinstripe Skirt, I finished unpicking the zip, put the zip back in attached the lining and waistband. I am now waiting for the inch grosgrain Ribbon to complete the waistband.
I have also practically finished my second version of New York Gold 444 that just need the buttons and finishing off the hand stitching.
I was very bad at the weekend I started a new dress Vogue 9040, continuing my love of Pintucks this dress has four large pintucks down each side of the bodice, the front also has darts that are incorporated in to the pintucks.
I think this the first pattern I have put together that does actually look exactly like the drawing on the envelope.
I’m not sure what the fabric is, it was billed as a seersucker type fabric on ebay, which it isn’t. It has a grid like design on it and the flowers feel like they have been painted on with a rubberised tipex brush.
The dress went together quite easily but will always be known as the dress with ‘all those darts’ it has 8 panels and two outside darts in each, I was lucky to get the end without putting at least one dart on the inside instead of the outside, I think the fit is quite good.
I hope to find some nice buttons for it at Olympia on Friday.
Well, what I thought would be an easy first finish for March turned out to be slightly more complicated. I’d already taken the cuff buttons off as I couldn’t get the sleeve done up and all the way up my arm!!
I had already worked out what was wrong, the button should surely have been put on the funny little sticky out bit but I thought I had better check the pattern instructions. I was right the button did go on the sticky out bit, unfortunately I’d also put the button hole on the wrong part of the cuff, doh!!
So after unpicking the cuff, cutting out a new pair and stitching them to the sleeves what started off as a 5 minute job took me about an hour.
Now just off to take the zip out of the pinstripe skirt I didn’t leave enough space to attached the waist band, another Doh!!